Application for a Second UK Passport
In the United Kingdom, citizens can apply for a second UK passport. This concurrent passport system is offered by Her Majesty’s Passport Office, which is the sole issuing authority of UK passports. British citizens can hold second passports, alongside their current ones. It should be noted that both passports are totally unique, with separate passport numbers. This is not the same as passport renewal. Additionally, it is not to be confused with dual British citizenship or British Overseas Territories Citizenship.
Getting a second UK passport is at the complete discretion of the HM Passport Office. Usually, it is issued to frequent international travellers. It allows the traveller to utilise one passport for travel, whilst the other one can be submitted simultaneously for a second visa application process. Second passports are also issued to UK citizens, who often travel to countries that are in conflict with each other or have incompatible visa policies. For instance, passports that have been utilised for travel to Israel cannot be used for visa applications to some Muslim-majority nations, such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait and Yemen.
The applicant will need to provide valid reasons, together with supporting documentation, to prove the need for a second passport. The UK provides two types of passports to its citizens, depending upon the frequency of their travel. A standard or regular UK passport contains 34 pages, whilst a jumbo passport for frequent travellers contains 50 pages. Adult passports are usually valid for 10 years, whilst child passports have validity of 5 years.
All UK passports require biometric identification since 2006. From March 2020, the HM Passport Office re-introduced the traditional navy-blue coloured passport after 30 years. It will replace the usual burgundy passports, which were introduced when the UK joined the EU.
Applying for a Second UK Passport
Can I Apply for a Second UK Passport?
Before moving on to the online application procedure for obtaining a second UK passport, it is important to understand the eligibility criteria. The applicant will need to fulfill any one of the following criteria to be considered for a second British passport by the HM Passport Office:
- Applicants who travel frequently to different countries for business cultural commitments. For instance, a British citizen, who is employed in a Singapore-based company and has to often travel to Asia, the Middle East and African nations. Such applicants’ passports often get filled quickly and they need to re-apply for a new one frequently. Having a second UK passport can help them to avoid the stress of repeated applications and fulfil their travel obligations smoothly.
- Applicants who need to travel to conflicting nations or countries that have incompatible visa policies. For instance, British journalists might need to travel to both Israel and Saudi Arabia.
- Applicants who do not reside in the UK, but feel it necessary to have a concurrent passport in the UK.
- Applicants belonging to the category of pilots, oil rig employees, flight attendants and others, who might need two passports.
Documents Required for Second UK Passport Application
The list of documents required for applying for a second UK passport is as follow:
1. Current British Passport
Your current British passport or a photocopy of the picture page, as well as every page of the current British passport, needs to be submitted. In case, you cannot provide your current passport, a letter addressed to the HM Passport Office, stating the reason, has to be submitted.
Applicants who have dual British citizenship need to submit the original or photocopies of both their current passports.
2. Application Form
The UK passport application form, issued by Her Majesty’s Passport Office, has to be submitted, completed and duly signed by the applicant. This form is an A3-sized brown document with 10 sections.
The application form for all types of British passports, including the second UK passport, is the same. However, the way it has to be completed in case of a second passport will differ.
You can obtain this form at the local post office. Go to this link and then click on the “Products & Services” drop-down menu and click on “Travel.” Then, click on “Passport Check & Send.”
Saudi Able Link can send the British Passport application form to its clients. Simply contact our dedicated team on the telephone or via email, requesting for an application form. We will send you a descriptive email, along with the form, containing all requirements, clear instructions to fill the form and relevant templates. You can email us at email@example.com or call us at 02070961985.
The application form will have to be countersigned. A countersignature must be obtained from a non-related individual that the applicant has known for at least 2 years. This person must be working in a recognised profession, live in the UK and should possess a UK or Irish passport that is still valid. It should be noted that the counter signatory should not be working in the HM Passport Office.
Two recent, coloured passport-sized photographs have to be submitted, along with the application form. The photos need to meet specific requirements, as mentioned below:
- The photo should be 45 millimetres x 35 millimetres in size, which is the standard size used in “Photo-Me” booths located in supermarkets and post offices in the UK.
- Both photos need to be identical to each other, but different from the one in your current passport.
- The high quality photo, with sharp focus, taken in the last 30 days.
- It should be printed on white, plain, photographic paper.
- The photo must be taken against a plain cream or light-grey background.
- The applicant must face forward, looking straight at the camera.
- The applicant should have a neutral expression, with eyes open and clearly visible.
- The photo needs to be a close up of the applicant’s face, head and shoulders. The recommended head height is between 29 millimetres and 34 millimetres.
- No glasses or headgear is allowed (except for religious purposes or medical reasons).
- The photo should not be marked, creased, torn or cut from a larger sized photo.
- No writing should be present on the front or back of the photo, except when one of them needs to have a countersignature on the back.
- The photo should not contain any shadows or red-eye.
- One of the photos has to be certified with a signature of the counter-signatory, stating, “I hereby certify the true likeness of the (applicant’s name).”
4. Employer Support Letter
An original letter of introduction from the applicant’s employer, addressed to the HM Passport Office, has to be submitted, detailing the need for a second British Passport.
- The letter must be printed on the company letterhead.
- It should include the full name and designation of the applicant in the company.
- The letter should have been issued in the last 30 days, signed by the applicant’s manager or company head.
- It should state the countries to which the applicant needs to travel frequently with, a business travel visa
- Proof of previous visas in the current passport must be submitted.
5. Authorisation Letter
Applicants must submit an authorisation letter that entitles Saudi Able Link to submit the passport application, along with the requisite documents, to the HM Passport Office, as well as pick up the passport, once issued, on the applicant’s behalf.
We have created a template for this letter, to help you with this process. You can access this template as soon as you fill the order form for your second UK passport.
6. Order Form
To complete the order form, you will require:
- Your current passport
- Your passport number, date of issue and expiry date
- Contact information
- Valid payment method
Our representatives will send you a link to the order form, after you have completed the order form and sent all document scans for pre-checking.
How to Apply for a Second UK Passport
When you choose us as your agency, you will not need to book an appointment with the HM Passport Office to start the procedure. As a specialised UK passport agency, as well as a Saudi visa agency, we are authorised to submit your application for a second passport to the HM Passport Office on your behalf.
All you have to do is follow some simple steps:
- Contact our team through a phone call or email, requesting for an application form. We will send you an email containing the complete application package, along with instructions and relevant templates.
- Read the information provided and complete the application form for a second UK passport, according to the instructions provided. Compile all the necessary documents to be submitted with the application form.
- Send the scan of the application form, together with scans of all the requisite documents via email to our team for pre-checking. You will be notified of any required amendments within 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the pre-checking is completed, our consultants will send you a link to our order form, where you can provide all the information regarding the type of passport you would like to apply for, your contact information, service type, payment method and the address to which you would like your passport to be dispatched.
- Send your documents by courier or deliver them personally to our London office. Please use Royal Mail, DHL or other courier company to send your documents, as they offer a tracking number. Once received, we will book the first available appointment with the HM Passport Office (subject to availability).
- Our team will keep you updated regarding the submission of the application and expected date of issuance.
- Upon issuance, your second British passport will be sent to your address immediately, through courier.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Second UK Passport?
The passport will be available to you depending on the service package you choose. You can choose from our same day service, next-day service or 7-days working service.
Please do not book your travel before you obtain your new second passport. To avoid delays, make sure you submit a fully completed form, 2 photographs, all the requisite documents and the fee.
How Much Does it Cost to Obtain a Second UK Passport?
The HM Passport Office charges £137 for the 50-page passport and £128 for the standard passport of 34 pages. Additionally, you need to pay our service charges, as per your chosen processing time:
Same Day Service: £250 + VAT
Next Day Service: £210 + VAT
7 Working Days Service: £180 + VAT
Benefits of Applying for a Second British Passport with Saudi Able Link
1. You Do Not Have to Get an Appointment or Go Anywhere
Consultants at Saudi Able Link will book the appointment with the HM Passport Office in the UK, for your second passport. All you have to do is complete the application form and compile the documents and submit it to us for pre-checking. Our consultants will submit your application in person, on your behalf, to the passport office, and also collect the issued passport to deliver to you by courier.
2. Professional Customer Service for All Queries
The second UK passport is a unique travel document. Most people do not know that eligible British citizens can hold two passports simultaneously. As a result, you might not find much information on the online application process for a second UK passport. Our consultants are available to address all your queries regarding the application process through email and phone call.
3. Faster Processing Time
You can choose our same-day service to obtain your second UK passport at the earliest. We will process your passport application form immediately, upon receiving.
4. Pre-Checking of Documents
To avoid rejection and delays, our dedicated passport consultants will pre-check all your documents before submission to ensure that they are all in order. They will also advise you on any changes required promptly.
Contact Saudi Able Link today to request for the application package for your second UK passport. You can send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 02070961985. Alternatively, you can fill the contact form, and one of our consultants will get back to you at the earliest.